9,344.97 TL BIST 100 BIST 100
4.32 CNY CNY CNY
30.97 $ USD USD
€33.45 EUR EUR
0.13 CNY CNY/EUR CNY/EUR
43.24 TL Interest Interest
82.70 $ Fossil Oil Fossil Oil
23.17 $ Silver Silver
3.87 $ Copper Copper
119.59 $ Iron Ore Iron Ore
398.00 $ Ship Dismantling Ship Dismantling
43.24 TL Gold (gr) Gold (gr)

Nippon Steel will continue to buy stakes in coal and iron ore mines

Nippon Steel, the world's fourth largest steelmaker, will continue to pursue strategic investments in coking coal and iron ore mines to ensure a stable supply of key raw materials and reduce the impact of price fluctuations.

Nippon Steel will continue to buy stakes in coal and iron ore mines

This month, Nippon Steel joined a consortium led by Glencore to buy Teck Resources' steelmaking coal unit for $9 billion. The Japanese company will pay about $1.34 billion for a 20% stake in the unit.

"Coking coal prices are expected to rise as investment in mines declines due to carbon neutrality initiatives and supply tightens in the medium term," Takahiro Mori, Nippon Steel's executive vice president, said in an interview. He emphasized that securing its own interests is of utmost importance.

Japan's leading steelmaker already has stakes in several coking coal mines, which account for about a fifth of its 25 million metric tons of annual coal imports. With the latest acquisition, this share will rise to around 30 percent.

Nippon Steel sells about 60 percent of its products to customers on credit, a mechanism that adjusts selling prices to raw material costs. However, the remaining 40% are commodity products that are directly exposed to fluctuations in the steel market.

"We aim to increase our self-sufficiency rate to around 40% to eliminate the impact of raw material prices on market products," Mori said, referring to both coal and iron ore.

Currently, Nippon Steel sources 20% of its 50 million tons of iron ore imports from its own capital.

Nippon Steel expects a significant increase in annual profit of about 70-80 billion yen ($476-543 million) following the acquisition of a 20% stake in Teck's coking coal business. Earlier this month, the company raised its net profit forecast for the fiscal year to the end of March by 11% to 420 billion yen, citing improved margins in the first half as a contributing factor.

Comments

No comment yet.

Only +plus subscribers can access this content.

SUBSCRIBE now to share your thoughts on the markets and get more comments.
SUBSCRIBE If you already have an account Sign In

Most read news

Pakistan's scrap imports increased

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

In December 2023, the US section beams exports decreased

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

SMS Group and Hasçelik launched a strategic partnership

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Ferroalloy production in Ukraine fell by 57% in 2023

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Morocco's green hydrogen ambitions: Overcoming uncertainties on the path ahead

Wednesday, February 21, 2024
Follow List
Expand
Your watch list is empty

Add your favorite commodities for quick access and don't miss the latest price change news.


There are no news categories you follow
Edit Notification Preferences
E-bulletin subscription
Sign up to receive the latest news and daily iron prices by e-mail and sms
Become a Plus Subscriber Now!
Try it free for 3 days!
Subscribe Now
Neutral Prices
Be informed
Provincial Iron Prices
Comments and Analysis
Subscribe Now